Meet Kathy Morelli
Licensed Professional Counselor, Author, Speaker, Friend
Kathy is a Licensed Massage Therapist, a Certified Aromatherapist and a Licensed Professional Counselor in Wayne, NJ. She is the Director of BirthTouch® LLC. As an LPC, she provides Holistic Positive Psychology Counseling in Wayne, New Jersey with a focus on trauma (including birth trauma) using EMDR, MindBody Pregnancy & Maternal Mental Health, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia and Craniosacral therapy. Kathy has been studying healing for four decades and strives to provide skillful and well-informed psychological counseling for her clients.
Professional consults are available via Skype and phone. In addition, private childbirth education is available.
Kathy began her journey by studying holistic touch therapies at the Meridian Shiatsu Institute in Pennsylvania: shiatsu, acupressure, Reiki and Matrix Energetics. She continued her journey by studying birth hypnosis.
She found that her clients expressed deep emotions and memories during her shiatsu & acupressure sessions, releasing emotional material about past trauma.
So she began to study counseling psychology, to deepen her understanding and her ability to help others, and eventually earned her masters degree and licensure. Today she has an integrative counseling practice, combining evidence-based therapies, traditional and complementary.
Some of the issues she helps women & their families with are: the emotions of pregnancy, birth and postpartum. This encompasses such issues as the fears and anxieties of pregnancy & birth, pregnancy loss, anxiety & depression, PTSD/ birth trauma, impact of sexual abuse & rape on pregnancy& birthing, abortion & post-abortion emotions, prematurity, adaptation to motherhood, and the couple’s transition to parenthood.
Kathy is the author of BirthTouch® Shiatsu and Acupressure for the Childbearing Year, BirthTouch® Healing for Parents in the NICU and the BirthTouch® Guide to Perinatal Mental Illness for Birth Professionals.
The BirthTouch® blog covers such topics as the emotions of depression, anxiety, trauma, pregnancy, birth and postpartum and couples work.
She is the Examiner for Pregnancy & Infant Parenting for Morris County, NJ. She has served as the Guest Blog Manager for Lamaze International’s Science and Sensibility and co-hosted Postpartum Support International’s #PSIBlogHop2013 for Maternal Mental Health.
Kathy has lectured on BirthTouch® at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey’s Semmelweis Conference for Midwifery, several birth conferences, including BirthWorks®, HypnoBirthing®, at midwifery schools, and at Postpartum Support International’s Annual 2011 Conference.
She presents trainings to allied birth organizations about maternal mental health and family systems and is found on web media, such as PBS’ This Emotional Life, writing and speaking about this subject. She is a CEU provider for DONA International.
An overview of some trainings/certifications Kathy has earned:
- Gottman Institute’s Couples Counseling Level One and Level Two
- EMDR Levels One & Two
- Postpartum Support International’s Perinatal Mood Disorders Certification
- Salve Regina University Expressive Arts Facilitator Training
- Academy of Guided Imagery Level One & Two certification
- Rutger University’s Active Parenting classes
- Hypnotherapy training
Holistic & Birth Psychology
- Birthing From Within Level One
- past HypnoBirthing(r) certification
- Debra Pascali-Bonaro’s DONA doula & postpartum doula trainings
- Penny Simkin’s Birth Trauma training
- Acupressure training
- Meridian Shiatsu Institute Shiatsu certification
- Reiki Master
- Clinical Aromatherapy from the Aromatic Wisdom Institute
Her past work experience includes:
- counseling persons with severe mental illness
- MindBody Specialist at a Cancer Center, where she did family counseling and ran the Complementary Care program, including the Reiki Volunteer Program
- owner of Gentle Birthing Methods, providing shiatsu & acupressure for pregnant women and teaching birth hypnosis
- Behavioral Medicine Therapist at Overlook Medical Center in NJ