Hi there, I’m Kathy ! Let’s talk!
Meet Kathy Morelli, LMT, LPC, CA
Licensed Massage Therapist, Licensed Professional Counselor, Certified Aromatherapist,
Author, Speaker, Friend
Kathy is a Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Massage Therapist, a Certified Aromatherapist in Wayne, NJ. She is the owner of Heartlife Holistic® and the manages the BirthTouch® blog.
As an LPC, she provides professional counseling in Wayne, New Jersey with a focus on trauma (including birth trauma) using EMDR & DBT, MindBody Pregnancy & Maternal Mental Health, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia and Craniosacral therapy. Kathy has been studying healing for four decades and strives to provide skillful and well-informed psychological counseling for her clients.
Kathy began her journey by studying holistic touch therapies at the Meridian Shiatsu Institute in Pennsylvania: shiatsu, acupressure, and Reiki. She continued her journey by studying hypnosis for childbirth.
She found her clients expressed deep emotions and memories during her shiatsu & acupressure sessions, releasing emotional energy about past trauma.
So she began to study counseling psychology, to deepen her understanding and her ability to help others, and eventually earned her masters degree and licensure. Today she has an integrative counseling practice, combining evidence-based therapies, both traditional and complementary.
Some of the issues she helps women & their families with are: the emotions of pregnancy, birth and postpartum. This encompasses such issues as the fears and anxieties of pregnancy & birth, pregnancy loss, anxiety & depression, PTSD/ birth trauma, impact of sexual abuse & rape on pregnancy& birthing, abortion & post-abortion emotions, prematurity, adaptation to motherhood, and the couple’s transition to parenthood.
Kathy is the author of BirthTouch® Shiatsu and Acupressure for the Childbearing Year, BirthTouch® Healing for Parents in the NICU and the BirthTouch® Guide to Perinatal Mental Illness for Birth Professionals.
The BirthTouch® blog covers such topics as the emotions of depression, anxiety, trauma, pregnancy, birth and postpartum and couples work.
For five years, she was the columnist for the Examiner for Pregnancy & Infant Parenting for Morris County, NJ. She has served as the Guest Blog Manager for Lamaze International’s Science and Sensibility and co-hosted Postpartum Support International’s #PSIBlogHop2013 for Maternal Mental Health.
Kathy has lectured on BirthTouch® at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey’s Semmelweis Conference for Midwifery, several birth conferences, including BirthWorks®, HypnoBirthing®, at midwifery schools, and at Postpartum Support International’s Annual 2011 Conference.
She presents trainings to allied birth organizations about maternal mental health and family systems and is found on web media, such as PBS’ This Emotional Life, writing and speaking about this subject. She is a CEU provider for DONA International.
Kathy constantly updates her skills to gain more in-depth knowledge on how to assist her clients.
An overview of some trainings/certifications Kathy has earned over the years:
- Somatic Experiencing® Levels One and Two
- Gottman Institute’s Couples Counseling Level One and Level Two
- Laurel Parnell’s EMDR Levels One – Three
- DBT Skills Comprehensive Training
- Perinatal Mood Disorders Certification from Postpartum Support International’s
- Salve Regina University’s Expressive Arts Facilitator Training
- Academy of Guided Imagery Level One & Two certification
- Rutger University’s Active Parenting classes
- Hypnotherapy training
Holistic & Birth Psychology
- Upledger® Craniosacral Level 1 Training
- Birthing From Within® Level One
- HypnoBirthing® training
- Debra Pascali-Bonaro’s DONA doula & postpartum doula trainings
- Penny Simkin’s Birth Trauma training
- Iona Marsaa Teegarden’s Jin Shin Do® Acupressure full practitioner training
- Nancy Dennis’ Meridian Shiatsu Institute Shiatsu certification
- Reiki Master 2000
- Clinical Aromatherapy from Liz Fulcher’s Aromatic Wisdom Institute
- Entrepreneur Herbalism Course – The Herbal Academy
- Self Care and Stress Management – The Herbal Academy
- Herbalism – The Australasian Academy
Her past work experience includes:
- Newbridge Services, counseling persons with severe mental illness
- Mountainside Hospital Cancer Center, MindBody Specialist, family counseling and ran the Complementary Care program, including the Reiki Volunteer Program
- owner of Gentle Birthing Methods, providing shiatsu & acupressure for pregnant women and teaching birth hypnosis
- Overlook Medical Center, Behavioral Medicine Therapist